Sunday, August 21, 2005

Death of the DVR

This post was postphoned on August 10th. We now have a new DVR

Our DVR died on Sunday. It was a senseless death. A tireless worker and highly valued member of the family, the Dish Player-DVR 510 stored many of our favorite TV moments.

Out of the blue our little DVR, who can store up to 100 hours of Dish Network Satellite TV, began making a horrible clicking noise. The TV still came on at that point, but when we checked on the recordings... to our horror everything was gone! That means the new season of Rescue Me and Over There were lost, as well as the AFI Tribute to George Lucas. Also my toons have vanished including Robot Chicken, FLCL, the Venture Bros, the complete 3 seasons of Star Wars: Clone Wars, and even Samurai Champloo.

This is devastating.

So, the next day I call Dish to explain the problem. By this point the DVR has gotten itself into an endless loop of attempting to connect to the satellite signal and then rebooting. Being that this was after normal working hours, the nice lady working the phone had to go through every possible thing even though it was quite obvious that the box was dead. I clicked buttons, unplugged, and various other things for a good half-hour or more. Finally she decided she had done enough and ordered a new box, which I have to pay shipping for (rolling my eyes and groaning now). Considering I'm leasing this box you'd think they'd be paying me for my inconvenience... all well.

All should be better soon. If I'm lucky the new DVR will be on the porch when I get home! I won't hold my breath though.

;-)

PS: We LOVE the Dish service and the DVR is wonderful... when it's not making clicking sounds of death.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I can only imagine the horror of this event! I can almost hear the death rattle...Oh, the pain! :)