Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'll Miss You Popeye.....

Grandma and Grandpa Burgess

There is no easy way to say this so here it goes.

This morning my Grandpa Burgess died in his sleep.

We were told by G&G's Pastor who came to the house. The hospital had been trying to get a hold of us. They called my phone five times only leaving one message to call right away. I took the phone at home off the hook because Randal was sleeping and I am so mentally and physically exhausted I needed to rest and not have people calling to see if we had decided on a nursing home. I told Pastor about the phone situation and he told me "It's okay you have every right to do that. Randal needed his sleep and you need to take care of yourself"

When we saw Grandpa Tuesday he was doing really well. Knew who we were and looked good. Randal was in his stroller bouncing around, talking, and smiling. Grandpa looked at him and said "Gosh...He is so adorable" He mentioned Katie and I showed him the latest pictures of her. He just beamed and said "She doesn't look like she's almost three"

On Weds I talked to his nurse Susie (I love Susie...Susie will get stuff done and doesn't take garbage from anyone!)and she told me that he was doing good in the morning and then started to get worse. Told me that he was trying to get out of bed. He knew that we were there but was very tired. Asked when I was going back to Texas and I told him "In a couple of days" Yesterday was just an over all bad day and I don't want to talk about the whole nursing home situation because it just makes me angry.

I talked to Grandpa's Dr today and asked him some questions. One of them was how long do you think he has? He told me that he thought maybe a couple of days to a couple of weeks. We all knew the outlook wasn't good. I knew Sunday with the signing of the DNR that it would not be long.

Grandma is hanging in there. I'm keeping an eye on her (except when Randal is asleep and I get to go to the library to post on the blog) and her friends, family and church has (or will be) coming over to see her.

I'm glad I listened to the vibe and didn't go home yesterday. I knew that if I did I would be making the trip back up.

I want to thank you all for the prayers and vibes for the past month. I just ask that you keep them going for the next couple of weeks or so. Adam has a flight out on Sunday to come up here and we will probably leave a couple of days after.

We love and miss you all...

B and Bubba Randal

1 comment:

Amber Rader said...

Our prayers are with you all! I'm glad you got to spend the last week with your grandparents.