Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Philips and Verizon

Just found out what Verizon is up to in my neighborhood. Actually, they knocked out my phone service over the weekend but since I wasn't home it didn't matter much. I knew they are running Fiber Optics into the neighborhoods, but I didn't know what the service is actually going to be like. Thanks to Slashdot I now know:

Verizon Taking FTTP Installation Orders

The fiber optics are going to come all the was to the house, I think. We're talking speeds of up to 30Mbps down and 5Mbps up (also 15/2 and 5/2). The pricing is better than I'm paying for Comcast (3Mbps/256K). I've been mad at Verizon in the past, but if they do this all is forgiven!

Also on the techie front, I bought a new toy yesterday! It is a DVD player by Philips that not only plays DVDs, but also MP3 CDs, JPEG Slideshows, AND (the cool part) Divx/MPEG4,2,1 video files burned to either DVD-R or CDR! Its what I've been waiting for! All that money I've burned on PlayStation 2 Media Players, a TV with a fancy port I didn't need, all solved by a $70 DVD player. I just hope it keeps working because I'm in hog heaven right now!

Check it out:

Philips DVP642/17 DVD Player

No comments: